Wednesday, October 04, 2006

lil john and the e side crew

I was on my way to the beach this weekend with some new friends at college. We were going to play some football. I was sitting in the back of this guy's subaru, reminded of how I had a friend with one and the first time he took me in it we went 120 down West from Herndon. Those in the no know what I am talking about. I dreaded the game and busied myself carousing his cd booklet. Something very old fashioned and still lovely to me.
We talked about music, and what artist we like. I said yes, I do like rap music. I think it is very neat how the beats and fast words can sound so nice. He asked me what type of rap music I listent to, maintstream or underground. I said whatever I can get. I also said my favorite rap artist was little john. i think he is doing somethign unique in rap music, and I like his style. I am not going to lie.

He said he liked rap music too. He then said something rather convicting to me. He said he did like rap music. but he threw away all his music because it was degrading, and trying to grow in the spirit is impossible when listening to that type of stuff. he said it just kinda brings his spirit down, so he stays off of it.

he stays off of it. like it was a drug.
I felt kinda like I have been cheating myself of something. that i was blocking off by listening to degrading music. i started to argue the fact in my mind, and couldnt help but think my spirit does better when I am filled with holyer things than lil john and the east side crew.


Sometimes, what we do fills us up I guess. Our music, our words, our actions...But we may just be so used to it that it doesnt 'effect' us anymore. But maybe it does, maybe inadverntently it does I mean. Because the things we could do instead might be just a little more beneficial to us. So when we have the chance to be in Gods presence, or to live a Godly life style, why do we go astray?


So I will still listen to lil john still with the girls in the car on the way to the dance club. They probably won't be on my top 25 playlist anymore though. I know I will still pass up those God moments that are waiting for me even now. But at least maybe now I can be a little more in tune to finding God this month. this week. or at least tomorrow.

No comments: